WIP: Ord Mantell's ESB Build

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
A big piece of the puzzle is now in place: the suit, thanks to Clothears. I actually began thinking about Clothears for the suit back in 2009 and got some swatches from them. Unlike everyone else at the time, they were not using tackle twill (don't get me started on that) for the vest which was a big plus in my book. I hated the tackle twill craze (hey, I said don't get me started). Plus they had great patterns. When I came back to this build last year I got more swatches and liked practically everything about their ESB. The patterns and materials were even better than before. I especially liked that they had nailed the cone-shape of the neck seal, something absolutely nobody else understood.

neck supertrooper.jpgclothears old neck.jpg

I really felt like they 'got it' and they clearly knew what they were doing. I liked everything except some of the colors, so I wrote them to ask if it was possible to make changes to the colors. After some discussion it became clear they were very easy to work with and were perfectly fine for making changes especially if it meant increasing the accuracy. This took a few months of sporadic emails to iron out but this is basically what we changed:

Their ESB as of last summer looked like this:
DSC_0196.jpegIMG_0459.jpeg

Just magnificent. Except the neck seal and vest should be different colors. The vest was perfect, but the neck should be much lighter, like it was almost still ST white or a very light gray.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 10.42.51 PM.png

I also noted from this same photo how the vest neck seam hugs the bottom of the neck seal without any gap or bunching. It's a perfect fit, which I was not seeing in their version. I wasn't sure if it would be possible to achieve but I asked for it anyway.

I sent this as my color suggestion:
DSC_0196b.jpg

I don't know what miracles they had to perform to get the neck seal the right color but they totally pulled it off.

Eric-Upper.jpg

And they also just completely stunned me by getting the fit between the vest and neck nice and tight all the way around.

IMG_0795 copy.jpg

BAM. NAILED IT. Simply stunning.

There were some changes with the gloves as well. Their do-it-yourself kit had the pads as the same color gray as the vest. And the stitching down the pad of the back of the hand was the same matching gray. I noted the pads should be white and the stitching should be black or dark gray.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 7.47.49 PM.png

But I ended up trying to do the color changes myself when I got the kit. Not my best idea.

IMG_8694.JPGIMG_8763.JPG

Despite multiple efforts to get a professional to sew the gloves, I couldn't find anybody to do it. Luckily this was near the time Alison and Jude were moving so Alison said she could do them in some of her down time. Lucky me. When she got them back I think she finally realized the degree of desperate Fett obsessiveness I suffered from and offered to change the material for the pads to white and add the dark stitching. Probably out of sympathy. Hallelujah.

IMG_0813 copy.jpgIMG_0814 copy.jpg

Such a splendid job. Absolutely top notch. Couldn't be more pleased. So I got it on the mannequin after some adjustments.

IMG_0793 copy.jpgIMG_0794 copy.jpgIMG_0804 copy.jpg

IMG_0821 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0829 2 copy.jpg
    IMG_0829 2 copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TheBobaFett

Concept
Really enjoying the build so far!
Proportions are so important to a Fett build in my eyes. The Paint job, lineage parts are all great to have but until you have the right proportions It won't truly sell the look. I adore what you have going on especially with how the armour fits which definitely sells that it is ESB even in this early stage.
The Hero size armour is on a 5'9 mannequin am I correct?? I'm 5'9 barefoot...years later I am still debating whether to go AE or Hero size I can never decide...Opinions have been so divisive on the size for a long time so I can never truly get a defining answer, seems just a preference at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
Proportions are so important to a Fett build in my eyes.
Exactly right. Completely agree.
The Hero size armour is on a 5'9 mannequin am I correct??
Yes. The height is adjustable, but that's where I'm keeping it. I think all the guys who played Fett in the OT were around that height, though I can tell John Morton's shoulder width was not as wide as Jeremy Bulloch's. The combo of Morton's stature (5'10") and his narrower shoulders gave him more of the bobble-head look, which is what I'm hoping to capture.

Hero armor should work for anyone over 5'9" I would think.

TheBobaFett

Concept
I think all the guys who played Fett in the OT were around that height, though I can tell John Morton's shoulder width was not as wide as Jeremy Bulloch's. The combo of Morton's stature (5'10") and his narrower shoulders gave him more of the bobble-head look, which is what I'm hoping to capture.

Spot on. The shoulders definitely look like they stick out a little more because of his smaller frame. John's build is quite distinguishable compared to Jeremy's after excessive analysing of this costume that's for sure lol. You're definitely getting there!

KaanE

Supertrooper
LOL. I have some extras! A lot of them are damaged from one too many pressings, and most of them are the wrong width since I was experimenting. Send me the bottom width you think will work best for you and I'll see what I have. (y)
I would say something between 62 and 66 mm would be fine. My own one is 62mm.