WIP: Ord Mantell's ESB Build

RafalFett

Expert
The truth is that we can interpret these codes to fit our needs:
RS 7416
UK 8105S (8 is 1978, 1 the 1st month, 05 the 5th week of the month and S is where it was produced - maybe Singapore)

027P (02 is the week number, 7 is 1977 and P is where it was produced - maybe Philippines)
DM7400N

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
perhaps, but the first interpretation would be flawed since you need to have two digits for a month code, which means there should be five digits total. I can see how the 027 might work, but then interpreting other chips of the same period this way would create some absurdities like 744, a NS chip I have in my posession of the same period, would be the 74th week of 1974. The fact is, it's in the literature that YWW and YYWW were the common date code practices for most of the industry. Are there sometimes anomalies? Sure. Are these? We need more definitive info.

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
I agree. We don't know what changes they did to the ESB helmet between ESB and ROTJ, and even after ROTJ.
My mistake. I misunderstood what you meant earlier. I do agree it's hard to explain about BOTH being changed at the same time the way you meant it. I had the same reservation. And I agree we need more info to really know.

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
Just to add to the discussion, I reached out to the folks at the IC date codes – Telcontar.net link since that site had really good date code info and presented our mystery to them. This was the gist of the response:

Personally it seems unlikely that those are the original chips, as the date codes look to be completely straightforward, and indeed newer than the film. (Good film, too! My least favourite as a kid, and then my favourite as I got older.)

RafalFett

Expert
Just did a vectorized version of the rangefinder electronics to scale (it should print fine at 100% scale), but can be also imported in any good graphics program to separate the parts you need:
Rangefinder Electronics PP3.jpg

Attachments

• Rangefinder Electronics PP3 LTR.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • Rangefinder Electronics PP3 A4.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
IMHO we should really stop calling MCR ears "Hero ears", just for clarification purposes. I know the water has gotten super muddied on this subject over the nightmare that was 2020 and since the original MCR "Hero Sized Ears" project was announced, which then later became the MCR G2 ESB Hero Helmet Project, but they no longer became "Hero Sized" ears once the MCR G2 ESB helmet project happened, and this was due to generational shrinkage issues seen across the various helmets/generations. Its easy to say that this or that casting material has only 1% shrinkage etc etc and its a "exact copy", but at the end of the day when it was all accounted for mathematically, the ears still needed to be shrunk down considerably in order to fit a G2 helmet.. at least from a precision machining and engineering drawing standpoint.
Hell, "Hero Sized" ears don't even really fit the few G1 helmets that are out there from what I'm told. That should tell you something right there, hahaha

But really what they are is MCR's take on the metal ears which they designed to fit the MCR G2 helmet by trying to account for the generational shrinkage seen and adapting the Hero sized ear dimensions by shrinking them down. So really they are "MCR G2 sized ears", or however we prefer to call them at this point. Same goes for the RS's ESB hero helmet and ears. They were also created using a similar process with the same hero sized ear dimensions. Both RS's G2 sized ears and MCR's G2 sized ears are slightly different in size/dimensions however from what I understand, and I think this largely has to do with some possible errors made while trying to account for the shrinkage seen in the helmets and relating that to the numbers for the Hero sized ears when trying to scale everything down. I'll be doing a G2 ESB helmet/ears and "Hero Sized" ears visual comparison thread writeup eventually once my RS's come in that will hopefully add to this research

Last edited:

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
Now that you mention this, it makes me want to directly compare the Elstree ears to the MCR ears to examine the differences there, but I just sold the MCR bucket with metal ears and sent it out yesterday. Drats. I was under the impression Elstree did not intentionally scale down their ears but I could be wrong about that. @boba87fett should know. Overall, I agree with the notion that 'hero'-sized is a misnomer, though the spirit of it is in relation to the G2 being the only 'hero' helmet the vast vast majority of us are ever going to have the chance to own. I look forward to your write-up!

Now that you mention this, it makes me want to directly compare the Elstree ears to the MCR ears to examine the differences there, but I just sold the MCR bucket with metal ears and sent it out yesterday. Drats. I was under the impression Elstree did not intentionally scale down their ears but I could be wrong about that. @boba87fett should know. Overall, I agree with the notion that 'hero'-sized is a misnomer, though the spirit of it is in relation to the G2 being the only 'hero' helmet the vast vast majority of us are ever going to have the chance to own. I look forward to your write-up!
I'd be curious to see how the Elstree ears compare side by side as well. I think I had heard they were very close to each other in size, but I've never seen a set of those in person yet. If I remember right they were designed to fit whatever helmet they had access to at the time (I think it was a MinuteFett G2/G3??:unsure: or a G3 with G2 numbers??) and used Raf's ear drawings as I recall. I'm sure Steve could certainly clarify, hahaha. But yeah, technically speaking I don't think those would be "shrunk down" so to say from the 'known' lineage hero ear dimension numbers like the MCR G2 and RS G2 ears were. None of this is really secret info or anything per-se either.. I think most of the original information regarding the MCR "Hero Sized" Ears project, and what/who was originally involved with it, simply got erased once the issue with shrinkage on the WF helmet was discovered and that original "Hero Sized" Ears project was suddenly replaced by the MCR G2 ESB Helmet and Ears project..
I don't say any of this as any kind of knockdown or **** talk to the various makers out there of these beautiful kits and metal parts either. They're all absolutely gorgeous helmet kits with some really beautiful metal ears to pair with them. Often I'm talking about geometrical sizing that 90% of Fett nerds would honestly most likely never even notice unless you placed them directly side by side with each other.. The science and exactness of what went into making these original costumes and parts absolutely fascinates us in that upper 10% of purist trash in the Fett hobby though, and that's really the research that I like to help add too when and where possible :LOL: