Moncal Bobafet ESB RKD?

kacrut

Concept
Hi all, .. yesterday i just saw on Etsy seller by the name Moncalspropshop he got an ESB boba fett armor and ROTJ, i know Moncal/Far away creation make a Bikerscout armor, i got theirs Bikerscout several years ago, great scout kit, but not finished yet... but i don’t know if this the same guy on Etsy... How’s you guys think about the boba fett armor? I read that their armor are RKD linage.. and “slightly smaller” on their details write up.
Ooh and can i posted the moncalspropshop link on etsy here? Because i don’t wanna advertising it, if I wasn’t sure.
Thank you.
Louis K

intwenothor

Staff member
I had a MR recast when the GMH came out, as well as a production MR. I actually bought two GMH based on the prevailing wind of the time, thinking that there was something better - there wasn't.

Obviously, we now are aware that there were more issues with that helmet than was plainly stated at the time.

It's still a fascinating helmet because its origins are not plain. That said, it's clearly a lesser version of whatever process created the KT plug, and the KT has enough issues to overcome without the size issue. The GMH does still present an option for the smaller person with a smaller head. I still maintain that FP did an amazing job getting it to where he got it to, however; some things cannot be overcome. In my view, that's why the FPH2 occurred.

kacrut

Concept
Good morning all.. it’s 8:10am here in part of my world hehe.

The more i read the history the more i Confuse LOL!! But, yea hopefully i can get my ends worked-out(budged wise)then i can pulled a trigger to purchased it.

To print a 3D helmet, it’s still expensive here in Indonesia, and more bondo to work and sanding it.

Thank you very much for all the informations.
Stay Healthy and Success
...i need more coffee

kacrut

Concept
I had a MR recast when the GMH came out, as well as a production MR. I actually bought two GMH based on the prevailing wind of the time, thinking that there was something better - there wasn't.

Obviously, we now are aware that there were more issues with that helmet than was plainly stated at the time.
What issues that i should know about the helmet?.. is it structural? Warp?

*edit wrap

Last edited:

intwenothor

Staff member
It has inherited a number of issues that can be seen in the KT plug but of a more egregious nature. It also has issues that are solely on the GM and not on the KT. A good example of that is the dome. The original GM had a badly sunken dome, as well as having the rear left dome distortion that the KT has, which, by the way, is already enough of an issue to overcome.

Fettpride's account, at the time, was that he made an ultra thin glass only copy of the GM and that the dome of this copy magically popped back into place, when heated, and that no filler was used. I'll let you digest that and see if you think that probable.

I think that many of us, at the time, thought that this might be the ticket to match the then most desirable cast, the Malone Fett. It really wasn't. The size issue was played down considerably, i.e. it is far smaller than it should be. If you need evidence of that then Ord's photo comp with the ESB cast is all you need to see.

I stand by my assertion, which is that Fettpride did the best he could with it. The trouble was that all the ability in the world couldn't escape the limitations of the parent cast.

As for the GMH, which are the helmets for sale, then it's probably one of the best smaller casts available, so if it suits your needs then go for it. I think Skyfire over at TDH was selling those. That means you can probably also get them through Wasteland and probably Minutefett as well; he seems to sell everything in Fettpride's back catalogue.

Last edited:

Major

Concept
Hey guys.....

Great to be here, I'll be posting up some content in a bit so I can be more active, as time allows.

As far RKD/MonCal...... RKD(Will Friedrichs) passed in Aug 2018. At that point, MonCal (Far Away Creations) was the one who ended up with the molds. I had previously been posting/answering emails on TDH. MonCal made the decision to start selling on Etsy, so I backed away and have nothing to do with it since then.

Regarding the sizes, his V1 would be more ideal for smaller frames. The V2 is closer to the WF/MF Hero armor. It was all custom sculpts, a number of which I helped consult with. The last things we were discussing was a V3, after I compared his V2 to the traveling exhibits. That did not happen due to his passing.

I hope that helps clear things up.

kacrut

Concept
Thanks for the explanation, honestly this is the first time that learnt boba fett helmet history and all.. thank you for sharing your knowledge.
And I already talked to skyfire maybe several weeks ago on his instagram, as for my height and small head haha...i think I’ll go with GMH on my list.

It has inherited a number of issues that can be seen in the KT plug but of a more egregious nature. It also has issues that are solely on the GM and not on the KT. A good example of that is the dome. The original GM had a badly sunken dome, as well as having the rear left dome distortion that the KT has, which, by the way, is already enough of an issue to overcome.

Fettpride's account, at the time, was that he made an ultra thin glass only copy of the GM and that the dome of this copy magically popped back into place, when heated, and that no filler was used. I'll let you digest that and see if you think that probable.

I think that many of us, at the time, thought that this might be the ticket to match the then most desirable cast, the Malone Fett. It really wasn't. The size issue was played down considerably, i.e. it is far smaller than it should be. If you need evidence of that then Ord's photo comp with the ESB cast is all you need to see.

I stand by my assertion, which is that Fettpride did the best he could with it. The trouble was that all the ability in the world couldn't escape the limitations of the parent cast.

As for the GMH, which are the helmets for sale, then it's probably one of the best smaller casts available, so if it suits your needs then go for it. I think Skyfire over at TDH was selling those. That means you can probably also get them through Wasteland and probably Minutefett as well; he seems to sell everything in Fettpride's back catalogue.

kacrut

Concept
Hey guys.....

Great to be here, I'll be posting up some content in a bit so I can be more active, as time allows.

As far RKD/MonCal...... RKD(Will Friedrichs) passed in Aug 2018. At that point, MonCal (Far Away Creations) was the one who ended up with the molds. I had previously been posting/answering emails on TDH. MonCal made the decision to start selling on Etsy, so I backed away and have nothing to do with it since then.

Regarding the sizes, his V1 would be more ideal for smaller frames. The V2 is closer to the WF/MF Hero armor. It was all custom sculpts, a number of which I helped consult with. The last things we were discussing was a V3, after I compared his V2 to the traveling exhibits. That did not happen due to his passing.

I hope that helps clear things up.
Thank you Major ... that’s help me a lot.

Fettacini

Concept
Hey guys, new to BFB but I am on TDH. Fettpride armor is top notch, I have the RoTJ verson( honestly from either seller it’s great, Wasted Fett, Viva Fett or Minutefett) it all looks great.
What I will say is that I went with Moncal on Etsy to get a set cheaper for my Pp2 project and man, it’s amazing too! Super thick black ABS that feels indescructable! It is a bit smaller though. So for my two cents, you can go a bit cheaper and go moncal which is really RKD sculpted armor and works very well, and is super strong. Or pay a little more and go with the legacy Fettpride armor.

So In a nutshell, more bang for your buck with moncal (RKD) bc he includes gauntlets (but now gauntlet greeblies which have to be bought separately but still cheaper) or more size and accuracy ( which will always be debated) with Fettpride( whenever the seller is).

Pardon the EE3, my sling gun was not finished and that’s also me RoTJ se pack. This was a local con and my first time wearing all the suit so this was a test run but this (aside from the helmet) is all RKD armor from MonCals prop shop on Etsy.

Attachments

• 909708FA-582A-4CD3-8AD8-3C948A43BE60.jpeg
    909708FA-582A-4CD3-8AD8-3C948A43BE60.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 14
  • E94CDFE4-FB5E-45D3-B292-B06058F34D74.jpeg
    E94CDFE4-FB5E-45D3-B292-B06058F34D74.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 14

kacrut

Concept
Ooo, Awesome PreProduction boba fett.. Thanks for sharing it with us here..🤘🏼👍🏼👍🏼
And yea, I already bookmark MonCal on Etsy.
I'm Still in the saving mode for this build. LOL