MMPC Article "Painting the Masters: The Master Replicas Boba Fett Helmets" by Lee Malone

boba87fett

Admin
Staff member
Hi everyone,

Years ago Lee Malone owned a forum called the Motion Picture Prop Company - some of you were members there. From what I here, there was a lot of good stuff on there that has been lost with time. Lee sent me his article, which tells the story of how the Master Replicas Boba Fett helmet masters were painted so that we can have it here on BFB.

Enjoy!

- Steven

Lee_MR_article-1.jpg

Lee_MR_article-2.jpg

Lee_MR_article-3.jpg

Lee_MR_article-4.jpg

and look how legit they are! what a royal screw up on the mass production
So something very interesting of note. That side of the helmet is exactly the same as it is on the proto masters from what Ive seen, and the infamous Master Replicas’s “Pinch” is most likely in reality a complete deformation to the back panel of the helmets, mainly along the bottom, which caused the over exaggerated pinch seen in production helmets.

This flaw likely occurred during production in China, and they likely laid the damn things all on their sides during manufacturing and coming out of the molds Ford Assembly line style and so that’s why they all look the same pinch wise.
Outwardly the helmets themselves do seem to be identical to the prototype helmets save for the T-visor riser added between the visor
A few attempted to fix the pinch on production MR’s way back when but they tried to do so by cutting the helmets when in reality it needs the whole helmet heated up and reformed back to what it should be.
Ive a stripped production MR here myself to help confirm a lot of this as well

RamSkirata

Concept
So something very interesting of note. That side of the helmet is exactly the same as it is on the proto masters from what Ive seen, and the infamous Master Replicas’s “Pinch” is most likely in reality a complete deformation to the back panel of the helmets, mainly along the bottom, which caused the over exaggerated pinch seen in production helmets.

This flaw likely occurred during production in China, and they likely laid the damn things all on their sides during manufacturing and coming out of the molds Ford Assembly line style and so that’s why they all look the same pinch wise.
Outwardly the helmets themselves do seem to be identical to the prototype helmets save for the T-visor riser added between the visor
A few attempted to fix the pinch on production MR’s way back when but they tried to do so by cutting the helmets when in reality it needs the whole helmet heated up and reformed back to what it should be.
Ive a stripped production MR here myself to help confirm a lot of this as well
More Info on where you got the info, what the path of speculation was and about your own experiment would be very welcome!