Gauntlet Whipcord Housing - Free Download!

Cantina_Dude

BFB Hero
Here’s something I’ve been working on for quite a while now that I’m excited to share! Using some extensive measurements from an example of the real part I have created an extremely accurate 3D model of the “whipcord housing” attached to the side of Boba Fett’s right hand gauntlet, incorporating every detail inside and out. It has been a lot of work to get just right, but it’s also been fun dialing in all the little details. Special thanks to @keegan for all his help on this project!

1715830344336.png

1715830356839.png

1715830367532.png

1715830376471.png

I have published the model for the whipcord housing up on Shapeways so people can order prints from there or download the model (you need to sign up for a free account with Shapeways and access the listing from a computer to see the download option - the mobile site doesn't include this feature) to print at home. Here is the part listing link:

Shapeways - Boba Fett Gauntlet Whipcord Housing

1715830389854.png

1715830403286.png

This model is being made available for use in your personal costume build. Selling of prints or molding and castings copies for sale, either by itself or as part of a gauntlet kit or set, is not allowed. Copying dimensions or details from this model to create a new model for use by a vendor is also not allowed. If these guidelines are not followed, the model will no longer be made available, so don't ruin it for everyone else. Again, personal use only, no vendors!

Mine arrived today. Incredible piece!!!! Thanx again!!!
D

Attachments

• IMG_20240604_115210174.jpg
    IMG_20240604_115210174.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
Mine arrived today. Incredible piece!!!! Thanx again!!!
D
Nice to see these getting out there! Is that the regular "not smoothed" MJF Black PA12 material you selected for your Shapeways print? If so, how does it feel in terms of strength and texture?

I thought I ordered the smooth version but it is slightly textured. I am thinking I might lightly sand it. Overall the piece seems very sturdy/durable and has some "give" or flex to it. Should hold up very well and work great!!!

I thought I ordered the smooth version but it is slightly textured. I am thinking I might lightly sand it. Overall the piece seems very sturdy/durable and has some "give" or flex to it. Should hold up very well and work great!!!
Glad to hear it feels sturdy! It does seem you selected the "not smoothed" version, hence the texture. I can remove the not smoothed options from all the materials on the listing if people think it would be easier to navigate, it just means there won't be the lower cost options available. I'm open to suggestions from folks, I just want people to have the options they are looking for!

Just FYI, I did order the "smooth plastic" option from Shapeways and it was also textured.

IMG_6659 2 Medium.jpeg

I wrote them to inquire if it was a mistake as this doesn't meet the definition of "smooth" to me. This was their response:

SLS 3D printed parts have a rough surface finish due to the nature of the selective laser sintering process. During SLS printing, fine powder particles are fused together layer by layer using a laser. Smooth finishing gives a slight shine, created using a physio-chemical process to vapor smooth the surface but powder particles will always be a bit visible on the surface. 3D printing is not injection molding. It's impossible to achieve the surface as from melted and injected plastic.

It's interesting they say the process ends with a "rough surface finish" yet they call it "smooth" in their material options nomenclature. I had never ordered anything from them before, so thought I'd give it a try. I won't bother again.

Ooph, that is disappointing. I might just take it down from Shapeways if that is the best they can offer. Are there any other online printing services people have had better luck with?

Just FYI, I did order the "smooth plastic" option from Shapeways and it was also textured.

View attachment 16928

I wrote them to inquire if it was a mistake as this doesn't meet the definition of "smooth" to me. This was their response:

SLS 3D printed parts have a rough surface finish due to the nature of the selective laser sintering process. During SLS printing, fine powder particles are fused together layer by layer using a laser. Smooth finishing gives a slight shine, created using a physio-chemical process to vapor smooth the surface but powder particles will always be a bit visible on the surface. 3D printing is not injection molding. It's impossible to achieve the surface as from melted and injected plastic.

It's interesting they say the process ends with a "rough surface finish" yet they call it "smooth" in their material options nomenclature. I had never ordered anything from them before, so thought I'd give it a try. I won't bother again.

Mine looks identical to yours ord!! Thought maybe I goofed up, but looks like we got the same thing

I don't have it yet but I ordered the same. Resin laser printing does not normally look like that- it comes out smooth. Any Shapeways samples I previewed on Youtube and random websites do not look like that- they are smoother. That surface is not smooth at all and in fact looks more textured than the less expensive standard surface they offer. Those bumps are not in the original model and not in the virtual product sample photos, and that is a form of fraud by Shapeways. That will require a lot of sanding and polishing. Do they have public reviews or a refund policy? I also added Rafalfett's gauntlet plug to my order. I don't even have my order yet and I'm miffed.

My Raf plug block arrived. Its a bit grainy and will probably need sanding before I'm happy with it, but it's definitely smoother and less textured than my whipcord piece is ....

Attachments

• IMG_20240615_123909945.jpg
    IMG_20240615_123909945.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Back