Gauntlet "ALCO" Push Button Switches

Cantina_Dude

Concept
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anybody knew what led folks to determine that the little metal push button switches seen on the right gauntlet were specifically the ALCO brand and the particular model people seem to always use. I have seen various models and different brands that all have the same type of switch tip so I don't think you'd be able to differentiate them from the outside of the gauntlet. Is this just another instance of costumers simply regurgitating what other costumers do until it becomes a "fact" or is there more to it that proves something specific? Just curious!

Funkyred

Vendor/Painter
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anybody knew what led folks to determine that the little metal push button switches seen on the right gauntlet were specifically the ALCO brand and the particular model people seem to always use. I have seen various models and different brands that all have the same type of switch tip so I don't think you'd be able to differentiate them from the outside of the gauntlet. Is this just another instance of costumers simply regurgitating what other costumers do until it becomes a "fact" or is there more to it that proves something specific? Just curious!
These are the ones I purchased, I think they come in D and E variants
Screenshot_20201120-083632.png

Cantina_Dude

Concept
Right on, but I'm wondering if there has been anything that proves that the original Fett costume used specifically these ALCO brand switches. How do we know that they didn't use a different brand like these Fujisoku or Nidec Copal (and I'm sure other brands) switches that have the identical switch tips?

https://www.bgmicro.com/SWT1321.aspx
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nidec-copal-electronics/8N1021-Z/1792076

Ord Mantell

Supertrooper
this is a great question. The earliest mention that the search engine comes up with at TDH is 2010, and no mention of its discovery.

Funkyred

Vendor/Painter

intwenothor

Staff member
Well, that's the question. Art was the source of the information back in July 2015 or 2016. As far as I recall the information was only ever posted in a for sale thread, which has long since gone.

intwenothor

Staff member
While there is no direct evidence, they used lots of electronic parts from RS, so this is the best guess.
Yeah, there's that as well. Can you remember what he said in the FS thread. I'm sure he identified them as the correct part but I can't recall the exact words used.

Cantina_Dude

Concept
I guess this confirms my suspicion that the importance some people put on using specifically ALCO brand switches is misguided. I've recently seen someone (not here on the forum) look down their nose at someone else for not using ALCO brand switches and it got me curious where this idea even started.

It irks me when people claim superiority when using one unverified part over another. The use of Exactra screws on the grips of a ESB Luke lightsaber build doesn't make it more correct than using any other type of screw with an identical head. These "facts" getting established and gaining momentum is frustrating.

OK, enough of my little rant. Switch on, switch off...

intwenothor

Staff member
Well, loads of brands offer these types of switches so it could be any of them.

That ESB Exactra screw thing always cracks me up. It seems really unlikely that those guys thought to save the screws from the calculator they were butchering. It makes no sense at all. Early production pictures show the Luke saber with no screws at all. It seems likely that the screws were to deal with the grips falling off during shooting so it makes no sense at all that someone was walking around with a pocket full of exactra screws. More likely that they grabbed them from whatever pot was to hand.

I can't remember what I used on my Luke ESB. Just whatever fit the bill. Guess what; it looks absolutely great!