Floquil Paints - That Vintage Floquil Thing and the Rogue Studios List.

intwenothor

Staff member
Yeah, absolutely. I agree. It's the same red. I was really illustrating that it can only really be one or two options from the available colours on that list.

Main green: most people would get to four or five colours within about an hour of looking though that list. Cross them off, one at a time, until just a handful are left. Acquiring the paint or samples might take a bit of effort, but that's the name of the game. In furtherance of my goals, I acquired heaps of stuff I will never use. You have to take a punt, because if you hesitate then it's gone. That means dead ends. Often, you can't tell until the stuff is in hand, but that just means another possibility crossed off the list.

Minute

Supertrooper
Yeah, absolutely. I agree. It's the same red. I was really illustrating that it can only really be one or two options from the available colours on that list.

Main green: most people would get to four or five colours within about an hour of looking though that list. Cross them off, one at a time, until just a handful are left. Acquiring the paint or samples might take a bit of effort, but that's the name of the game. In furtherance of my goals, I acquired heaps of stuff I will never use. You have to take a punt, because if you hesitate then it's gone. That means dead ends. Often, you can't tell until the stuff is in hand, but that just means another possibility crossed off the list.
Which 4-5 colors would those be? I’d like to have a base set to look for on eBay for testing. Can’t afford to purchase one of everything sadly

One thing I took away from Andy's write-up is that, if affordability is a concern, then you might not want to start down the path of sourcing vintage Floquils. Forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

I swear I'm not being paid to say this, but there's some great research being done on the Archive X FB group... just off the top of my head I've seen great results using some combination of Light Green, Coach Green, Great Northen Grey Green, Depot Olive.

Minute

Supertrooper
One thing I took away from Andy's write-up is that, if affordability is a concern, then you might not want to start down the path of sourcing vintage Floquils. Forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

I swear I'm not being paid to say this, but there's some great research being done on the Archive X FB group... just off the top of my head I've seen great results using some combination of Light Green, Coach Green, Great Northen Grey Green, Depot Olive.
I personally am not a fan of some of the archive x colors. Like the dark green for the back panels or the light green for the esb dome, seems way off.

Budget is not a concern for sourcing some “correct” floquil colors, but more of a concern of sourcing each individual green to test.

Minute

Supertrooper

I think the light green pales in comparison to POG by model master. Not even close.

intwenothor

Staff member

Budget is not a concern for sourcing some “correct” floquil colors, but more of a concern of sourcing each individual green to test.

Therein lies the rub. It is expensive. As I wrote in the post, this is the single most costly aspect of anything I have looked so far. Look at it this way: 15 copies of the same book. Factoring in P&P, which I have to because I live in a country where this stuff was never really sold, those were probably averaging around £30 - £35 a copy. I recently bought a copy from New Zealand - New Zealand is so far away from the UK that if you go any further then you start coming back! That's expensive.

So, that's about £500 repeatedly buying the same book. Then there's other stuff like old catalogue material, miscellaneous Floquil publications, various colour charts, and so on. There's probably another couple hundred quid in there somewhere, and we haven't even bought any paint yet.

Paints is another story. Once all of the various costs there are added in then, those average at a similar price per bottle, possibly more, but I have hundreds of those. You're talking ten times as much on paints as on books and paper.

Levi, I wouldn't think of my scan of the late 70s RR colours, or the picture of the military ones is worth a great deal from actual colour evaluation point of view, e.g. the M20 red is the same as R20 Caboose Red, which is a very bright and vibrant colour. Comparing those colour cards is always tricky. I appreciate that they are a useful visual aid, but unless you physically have them in hand it is better to think of them purely as a list rather than a good representation of the colour. They'll give you some idea but they're not ideal. The photo of the military colours has very little practical use other than as a list.

Photo's of them can always be deceiving. Personally, I think that if those cards are to be photographed then indirect daylight is best. Here is a selection of different light greens taken in such circumstances. All four cards taken on the same day, in the same place, at the same time. These greens all purport to be the same colour, but they're not. Even the two RR41s are slightly different, and they're supposed to be the same. Is that because the paints was different when the actual chips were made? Is it because the two RR41 samples started the same and have aged differently? Remember, whatever is on the RR41 cards is 45 - 50 years old, the R41 is closer to 40 years old, and the 110041 is more like 30. light greens.jpg

Last edited:
I think the light green pales in comparison to POG by model master. Not even close.
The point I was making is not that A-X provides a paint-by-numbers list of colours for the Fett helmet that will match out of the bottle. They make modern re-creations of many of the above Floquil colours, so it's a good option if you want to build a palette of period-accurate paints without going down the vintage rabbit hole. And I mention their Facebook group because some people have produced exceptional ROTJ helmet paintjobs and shared their list of colours.

In regards to the Light Green, I don't believe they make any claim that it's a perfect match out of the bottle. These colours get mixed and misted in ways that drastically change how they look. For what it's worth, when I was testing mixes for the dome and cheek I made a mix of LT Green and DK Grey that was an almost exact match to Model Master POG.

DWoelf

BFB Hero
Some of them spray nice....some of them will make you want to pull your hair out!!!! I've noticed that time and time again, yellows and greens seem to be the worst!!

intwenothor

Staff member
Yes. Some are good. Some are dreadful. It doesn't seem to be age specific either. Sometimes a very old colour will spray beautifully, although the younger paints generally seem to be better.

I've got some old greens that have turned orange!

DWoelf

BFB Hero
Yeah, the other thing that is infuriating about them, is they tend to change after being sprayed. Especially the older ones!!! I've had colors that looked really good after spraying, and they gradually either lighten or darken later on. Sometimes this can take weeks!!! Have to go slow!!!! Sometimes the opposite can be true as well however!!! I've sprayed some that I thought looked way off, but after some time they shifted a bit and looked good!! Again...this can take weeks!! It's very odd!!

famousfett

BFB Hero
Hey everyone! I’m a little late to the party but I figured I’d jump in and give my input on some colors. Identifying the colors used is probably going to be a never ending battle until a definitive color list that was used shows up. But even in an interview with Joe he said that when he gave the PP1 armor to day dream that he felt bad for them because he didn’t write any colors down, they just had to make stuff up from what they saw. Like mentioned above there are a lot of colors you can rule out right off of the bat just because they obviously look like colors that weren’t used. The issue is, Joe has said that he mixed colors together so whos to say that maybe one of those random greens didn’t end up in a mixture? That’s what makes figuring out the PP3 and ESB colors pretty hard. Maybe some mad lad can acquire all of those colors and start mixing and see what they come up with haha.

As for the PP2, Sandy, and ROTJ I don’t think colors were mixed for those helmets. I believe those helmets just have a lot of layers of different greens and weathering colors. This also makes pin pointing the original colors tough but not as tough as the ESB and PP3. If you look at the ROTJ closely you can see that not all areas are the same shade of green. The area by the killstripes is actually a darker green than the opposite side of the helmet which tells me that they maybe misted another green on that side but didn’t do it by the killstripes because maybe they didn’t want to mess them up or something? I have more info to add once I get it all together. Sorry for the long read but I just thought I’d chime in lol

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
As for the PP2, Sandy, and ROTJ I don’t think colors were mixed for those helmets
I'm still betting the 'pink' on the PP2 mandibles was a mix... the mandible red mixed with a light gray like SP Lettering Gray or possibly white. I seriously doubt it was the much vaunted Polish Crimson. Didn't Mario tell @boba87fett he also mixed colors? I thought he did. Maybe I misremembered that.

Any guesses as to the blue on the PP2 jetpack? I don't think it's the same blue used on the ROTJ's.

Also, aren't we changing the name of the 'Sandy' helmet to the 'Mario' helmet? I thought the committee decided... 😆

famousfett

BFB Hero
I'm still betting the 'pink' on the PP2 mandibles was a mix... the mandible red mixed with a light gray like SP Lettering Gray or possibly white. I seriously doubt it was the much vaunted Polish Crimson. Didn't Mario tell @boba87fett he also mixed colors? I thought he did. Maybe I misremembered that.

Any guesses as to the blue on the PP2 jetpack? I don't think it's the same blue used on the ROTJ's.

Also, aren't we changing the name of the 'Sandy' helmet to the 'Mario' helmet? I thought the committee decided... 😆
Maybe the pink was mixed but for all of the other colors I’m not really convinced that much mixing happened. But that’s just based off of studies I’ve done, I could definitely be wrong though haha. And if everyone changed it that’s great, I think the name should be changed too haha