Axe Woves Cheeks dilemma...

BlackCatBone

Concept
I'm hearing from a lot of top level painters that Axe Woves' upper cheeks are black...but man...I could swear they're the same dark gray as the t-area. I've collected a whole bunch of screenshots from mando S2 and 3, and becuase the upper cheeks tend to be in the deepest shadow, it's REALLY hard to tell.

I'm about to start my own Axe helmet, and I'm conflicted. I think it would look cooler all gray, (and make it less like Boba) but I'd rather do what's accurate.

Even some of the toy versions have gray upper cheeks (Hasbro Black series figure). And I can't definitively tell in the photos of the upcoming Black series helmet.

Can anyone weigh in on this with some sort of "official" info? Anyone seen the screen used helmet *in person* or have contact with someone who has?

While we're at it, the purple stripe that divides the upper/lower cheeks: does it sit on the upper cheek, or the lower? I've seen people do it both ways.

Thanks!

IMG_8079.JPG
IMG_8049.jpg
IMG_8050.jpg

Attachments

• f074ab9a577848c981751f6f816996b4xl.jpg
    f074ab9a577848c981751f6f816996b4xl.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 34
So I've contiunued to collect as many reference photos as as I can for Axe. Everyone seems sure that his upper cheeks are black...but I still have this nagging gut feeling that they're the same dark gray as the T-visor area. The upper cheeks are typically in shadow, and screenshots from Mando S2 and S3 are too dark to make a definitive call one way or the other...

So I started looking at Axe Woves licensed products. The Black Series 6" figure DEFINITELY has dark gray upper cheeks. The Black Series helmet looks like dark gray upper cheeks to me, too. The Hot Toys 1/6 scale figure has an extremely dark gray t-visor, and the upper cheeks seem to match that to me.

From a design standpoint, it might also make sense that they'd want to differentiate Axe's upper cheek color from Boba's.

I really wish we had some well-lit production photos or at least verbal confirmation one way or the other from someone who's actually handled a screen-used Axe helmet.

So I don't know. I'm being picky, but I REALLY don't want to get it wrong and have to repaint a finished helmet, y'know?

Thanks

Myself, I, too would guess its the same color as the T-area. From a production standpoint, it would make sense: Less effort to paint the thing. Plus we have seen some costuming shortcuts with the supporting charackters in the serieses. I'd take that as an additional hint. Most often, the simplest answer tends to be correct.

I really wish we had some well-lit production photos or at least verbal confirmation one way or the other from someone who's actually handled a screen-used Axe helmet.

I can tell you definitively the upper cheeks on Axe in S3 are black, having had access to it, and other resources such as continuity reference books, during my visit to the studio who made the costume.

I believe the cheeks on the S2 helmet are black as well but I didn’t see that helmet in person so I will not put a stamp on it one way or the other.

Back